Kaduna Teacher’s Answer Scripts Go Viral

Kaduna State government has released shocking samples of the answer scripts of the 25,000 teachers who sat for a competency test recently, with 75 per cent failing woefully.

The appalling scripts have essentially triggered concerns about the future of Nigerian children and education standards. On Thursday night, Kaduna and its incompetent teachers led Twitter trends in Nigeria.

The release of the scripts was a response to the organised protests by the Nigerian Labour Congress, school pupils and the disgraced teachers, some of whom flaunted posters proclaiming that ‘examination is not a true test of knowledge”.

Governor Nasir El-Rufai said the protests were in vain as his government will go ahead to recruit new and qualified teachers as planned. Over 18,000 applications have so far been received.

No amount of protests will deter the government from recruiting qualified teachers, while giving disengaged teachers the entitlements specified in their terms of service,” he said.

The governor urged all teachers who failed the competency test to continue teaching “as due process is being followed for those who are to be disengaged with 3 months notice. We will start disengaging those who scored from 0-59%.”

He justified the partial disclosure of the poor scripts: “Many times, the decisions we take offer us no political advantages in a polity long accustomed to the false allure of populism. But we do what is necessary, not minding the direct impact on us.”

NLC President Ayuba Wabba, who led hundreds of civil servants to the state House of Assembly on Wednesday said the competency test used as excuse to sack the teachers lacked credibility and was unacceptable.

It was a smokescreen to just sack workers,’’ he said, adding that legitimate institutions mandated to organise such examinations were ignored by the government.

Teaching is a profession in Nigeria, we have teacher training institutions and Teachers Registration Council, why are they not the ones conducting the test?

This is because they have sinister motives; that is why they didn’t use those institutions.

They are doing this just to sack and reduce workers and we will not accept that,’’ the NLC president said.

Any exercise built on faulty ground cannot stand; this is our position,’’ he stressed.

Wabba alleged that the state government also plans to sack 15,000 core civil services and 5,000 local government workers.

Northern Coordinator, Nigeria Union of Teachers, Bulama Abisu, has also condemned the sack of the teachers.

Abisu who led NUT executive members from the 19 northern states on solidarity visit to the state, called on President Muhammad Buhari to intervene.

Teachers get the least salary in most states in the north, even the meager salary is not paid as when due with huge number of teachers still being owed by the government.

The governors are moving from holding salaries to sacking teachers on the claim of incompetency when it is the same government that employed the teachers,’’ Abisu said.

Advertisements

10 Escape From SARS Jail In Bayelsa, Five Re-arrested #PrisonBreak


There was pandemonium on Monday night at the headquarters of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad of the Bayelsa State Police Command following the escape of Ten detained suspected criminals in their custody.

Five of the escaped suspects have however been re-arrested yesterday in Yenagoa and Agbura areas of the State after a man-hunt ordered by the Commissioner of Police, Asuquo Amba.

Leadership gathered that some inmates of the SARS makeshift detention centre led by one “Touch-Touch” cut through the iron protector at the toilet and broke out through the ceiling of the built without the notice of operatives on duty.

The Incident, which occurred at about 10pm, was discovered when a security staff of the Yenagoa Local Government Council, raised an alarm on noticing strange persons jumping into the council premises from the SARS headquarters.

It was gathered that two of the fleeing suspects were arrested at the Agbura community where they were hiding; three others were arrested in an open field of a company. The security guard of the abandoned company called the emergency number of the Police and they were arrested.

While some Legal practitioners blamed the incident on the poor condition of the detention facility located along the road safety road in the state capital and called on the High Command of the Nigerian Police and the Bayelsa State Government to re-locate the SARS office for effective operations.

The State Police Command, through its spokesperson, Asimin Butswat, confirmed the development and stated that “at about 0200hrs, 7th November, 2017, the incident duty officer of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) while on routine cell check discovered that Ten suspects escaped through the ceiling of SARS detention facility”.

Policemen immediately cordoned off the SARS detention facility and re-arrested Three out of the Ten suspects that escaped. The profile of the suspects has been circulated to our intelligence sources and efforts have been intensified to re-arrest the remaining suspects”.

“The Command assures members of the public not to panic and to volunteer useful information that may assist the Police in arresting the fleeing suspects.”

Three of the suspects, who were arrested in Yenagoa, Theophilus, 22yrs, New Year, 21yrs and Jamilu Buhari, 27 yrs told newsmen at the SARS headquarters that they were sleeping at about 10pm on Monday when they heard detainees escaping and they took advantage of the situation.

Source: Leadership

Anti-Snake Bite Venom Not Out Of Stock- FG Says


The Federal Government yesterday refuted the rumour that public hospitals have ran out of anti-snake venom for treatment of snake bite patients.

The rebuttal was in a statement made available, following reports of deaths of 91 persons as a result of snake bite in Gombe and Plateau States within three weeks.

The Minister of Health, Prof Isaac Adewole said the Ministry still has some vials of Anti-snake venom stocked in the Federal Ministry of Health, from the 2016 procurement from which states and other treatment centres were supplied upon request.

According to him, “the states in question, have refused to comply with the new procedure of request, hence their inability to access the product from the ministry”.

The statement also noted that, 5 states have so far made request and have been issued for the treatment of victims in the last 4 months, the last was in September 6, 2017.

The Health Minister also called on snake bite prevalent states to invest in procurement of anti-snake venom for their people.

He warned that Federal Government cannot continue to procure and distribute free to states indefinitely as being currently practiced.

The Federal Government is however working on Public Private Partnership arrangement for local production of anti-snake bite venom which will make the product available, affordable and accessible”, he added.

Joseph Parker In Talks To Fight Anthony Joshua

                    JOSEPH PARKER
Britain’s Anthony Joshua and New Zealander Joseph Parker are keen to fight each other in a heavyweight title clash early next year, but the finances have to be right for both boxers, Parker’s promoter said on Wednesday.

Joshua holds the IBF, WBA and IBO heavyweight titles, while Parker holds the WBO crown. American Deontay Wilder holds the WBC title.

Eddie Hearn and I have exchanged emails,David Higgins told reporters in Auckland about talks with Joshua’s promoter.

My message was Joe would fight Joshua next and Hearn’s message was that Joshua would fight Parker next.

“It’s now a question of the deal and money.”

Higgins said if they were able to agree to a fight it would probably be next March or April.

He added he had also been in talks with Wilder’s camp.

                   ANTHONY JOSHUA
The American knocked out Bermane Stiverne in New York last Saturday and then accused Joshua of ‘dodging’ a showdown.

They have put a figure on the table. It wasn’t enough,” Higgins said. “If they put the right amount of money on the table we will go to America to fight Wilder.”

British media have reported that Joshua had indicated he would like to fight Wilder by the middle of 2018.

Parker’s trainer, Kevin Barry, said he was keen to get the 25-year-old in the ring as soon as possible against the Briton.

Joshua defeated late replacement Carlos Takam in Cardiff last month and Barry said the France-based Cameroonian had exposed the Briton’s weaknesses before the 10th-round stoppage.

That Joshua fight puts everything into perspective now,“ Barry said. ”Takam had done no sparring. He tested Joshua right to the end. We saw how gassed Joshua was.

“We all saw that Joshua could not hurt Takam. That showed me that he is very beatable. He can’t knock you out with one punch.

“He is very robotic.

“I think the guy is there for the taking and I want us to get in front of him before someone else beats him.”

If the Joshua bout did not come off then Parker could fight unbeaten Australian Lucas Browne instead, Higgins said.

We have been in talks for a few weeks with his promoters,” Higgins added.

There is no deal. We have loosely agreed terms and principles … and it is possible if we decide it is the best option.”

Barry said Parker would now enter a training camp in Auckland before heading back to Las Vegas in mid-January.

Source: NAN

​Top German Court Calls For Change In law To Recognize Third Sex


Germany’s top court called on lawmakers on Wednesday to recognise a third gender – allowing intersex people to be registered as neither male nor female.
The Constitutional Court, in the western German city of Karlsruhe, said intersex people should be able to be identified as “positive” on the official registrar of births.

The court, which set a deadline for the end of 2018 to change the law, said it based its decision on a person’s basic rights.

This, the court said, also protected the sexual identity of those, who permanently associate themselves with either male or female.

The case followed the application to the court by a woman, who wanted to be identified in the birth register as “intersexual/other.”

Source: NAN

Ekiti Assembly Approves Death Penalty For Cultists


A bill seeking to prohibit the activities of secret cults on Tuesday scaled third reading at the Ekiti State House of Assembly.
The substance of the bill, which is yet to be signed into law by the governor, is the prescription of death penalty for those found guilty of breaching the law in that regard.

Those aiding and abetting cultism would also bag life imprisonment if found guilty. 

The new provision was an amendment to the law against cultism, enacted by Ayo Fayose during his first tenure as governor of the state.

The law had provided a seven-year imprisonment for anyone convicted of cult activities, whereas those aiding and abetting the act were to be imprisoned for five years.

The bill titled, ‘Secret Cult (Abolition and Prohibition) [Amendment] Bill, 2017,’ gained the lawmakerss attention following increase in cult activities at the Ekiti State University, Ado Ekiti which led to the killing of students recently.

Before the passage, the House Leader, Akinyele Olatunji, recalled the killings at the university due to cult activities.

We will not allow any group to turn Ekiti into death trap area,” he said, while thanking the governor, Ayodele Fayose, for introducing the bill.

We cannot fold our arms while some people would constitute themselves as a menace and eliminating the lives of innocent people of this state,” Speaker of the house, Kola Oluwawole, said, while making his remarks on the bill.

It is an everlasting sorrow for someone to lose his child or relative. The bill will reshape the lives of our youth. It will ‘touch’ those who intend to join any secret cults and those who have the intention to take another person’s life.

“Those people that we are representing will have peace of mind that their lives and those of their children are safe. The bill considers very seriously the negative consequences of such action because of the irreparable loss of lives.”

​Breakdown Of 2018 Budget Estimates


Budget size: N8.612 trillion (16 % higher than 2017 estimates) Assumptions, projections

• Benchmark crude oil price-US$45 per barrel

• Oil production estimate – 2.3 million barrels per day

• Exchange rate – N305/US$ for 2018

• Real GDP growth of 3.5 per cent

• Inflation Rate of 12.4 per cent


Expenditure Estimates

The proposed aggregate expenditure of N 8.612 trillion (16 per cent above 2017 budget estimate) will comprise

• Recurrent Costs of N3.494 trillion

• Debt Service of N2.014 trillion

• Statutory Transfers of about N456 billion

• Sinking Fund of N220 billion (to retire maturing bond to local contractors)

• Capital Expenditure of N2.428 trillion (excluding the capital component of statutory transfers).


Recurrent Expenditure

A substantial part of the recurrent cost proposal for 2018 is for the payment of salaries and overheads in key ministries providing critical public services such as:

• N510.87 billion for Interior

• N435.01 billion for Education

• N422.43 billion for Defence

• N269.34 billion for Health


Capital Expenditure

Key capital spending allocations in the 2018 Budget include:

• Power, Works and Housing: N555.88 billion

• Transportation: N263.10 billion

• Special Intervention Programmes: N150.00 billion

• Defence: N145.00 billion

• Agriculture and Rural Development N118.98 billion

• Water Resources: N95.11 billion

• Industry, Trade and Investment: N82.92 billion

• Interior: N63.26 billion

• Education N61.73 billion

• Universal Basic Education Commission: N109.06 billion

• Health: N71.11 billion

• Federal Capital Territory: N40.30 billion

• Zonal Intervention Projects N100.00 billion

• North East Intervention Fund N45.00 billion

• Niger Delta Ministry: N53.89 billion

• Niger Delta Development Commission: N71.20 billion.


Key projects and programmes to be implemented in 2018:

• N9.8 billion for the Mambilla hydro power project, including N8.5 billion as counterpart funding

• N12 billion counterpart funding for earmarked transmission lines and substations

• N35.41 billion for the National Housing Programme

• N10.00 billion for the 2nd Niger Bridge

• About N300 billion for the construction and rehabilitation of strategic roads


Regional Spending Priorities for Peace, Security and Development

• N65 billion for the Presidential Amnesty Programme has been retained in the 2018 Budget

• Capital provision for the Ministry of Niger Delta increased to N53.89 billion from the N34.20 billion provided in 2017

• Completion of East-West Road, with a provision of about N17.32 billion in 2018